- Six Charles Sturt campuses will host events to raise vital funds for the Indigenous Literacy Foundation
- The fundraising events are part of the nationwide Great Book Swap fundraising initiative to support literacy in remote Indigenous communities
During the month of September, Charles Sturt University (Charles Sturt) will host fundraising events at six of the University’s campuses to raise much needed funds for the Indigenous Literacy Foundation (ILF).
The events will take place at Charles Sturt in Albury-Wodonga, Wagga Wagga, Port Macquarie, Bathurst, Orange and Dubbo, and will include a second-hand book swap, a range of second-hand books on offer in exchange for a gold coin donation, and a morning tea or barbecue lunch.
Charles Sturt’s fundraising events are part of the ILF’s nationwide Great Book Swap fundraising initiative, which aims to celebrate reading locally and raise much-needed funds for remote communities.
“The events support a very important cause and are open to staff, students and members of the public,” Ms Fabry said.
“All of the funds raised will go to the Indigenous Literacy Foundation to support their work to bridge the literacy gap and instil a lifelong love of reading in remote Indigenous communities.
“We are hoping to exceed the amount we raised last year, which was almost $1,000, to contribute to the Indigenous Literacy Foundation’s aim of raising $350,000 this year to buy 35,000 books for kids in remote communities.”
The funds raised will be used to provide books and literacy resources to families, schools and service organisations in remote communities.
The Charles Sturt fundraising events schedule is:
- Wagga Wagga’s fundraising event is on Tuesday 10 September from 10.30am to 12pm at the University’s Learning Commons (building 13).
- Albury-Wodonga’s fundraising event is on Tuesday 10 September from 11am to 12.30pm at University’s Learning Commons (building 753).
- Port Macquarie’s fundraising event is on Wednesday 11 September from 10.30am to 12.30pm at the Courtyard on campus.
- Bathurst’s fundraising event is on Wednesday 11 September from 10.30am to 12.30pm out the front of the Learning Commons (building 1412).
- Orange’s fundraising event is on Monday 16 September from 10.30am to 12pm out the front of the Learning Commons (building 1005).
- Dubbo’s fundraising event is on Wednesday 25 September from 11.30am to 1.30pm at the Courtyard on campus.