* Wagga RSL Club & Wagga RSL Sub Branch offer 4 x $5,000 scholarships each year for ex-ADF personnel, their family members or descendants to study at CSU in Wagga Wagga
* The scholarships are designed for people with a connection to the Services
* Applications open on Monday 10 September
Charles Sturt University (CSU) welcomes the announcement that Wagga RSL Club and Wagga RSL Sub Branch have created four scholarships for the study of any subject at CSU in Wagga Wagga. Both have each created two $5,000 scholarships to be awarded each year.
The scholarships are designed for people with an Australian Defence Force (ADF) service connection or are ex-serving members of the ADF, or their relatives.
The scholarships are designed for the assistance of people who may not be able afford a university education, rather than as a scholarship for outstanding students.
Director of CSU Advancement Office Ms Sarah Ansell said, “Charles Sturt University welcomes the generous support of the Wagga RSL Club and the Wagga RSL Sub Branch. We look forward to working closely with them to ensure worthy applicants enjoy the full benefits of these scholarships”.
The general manager of Wagga RSL Club Mr Andrew Bell said the Wagga RSL and the Commercial Club are extremely proud to be a part of the CSU scholarship initiative.
“We place enormous emphasis on social responsibility within our community and giving help and assistance to those who need it most,” Mr Bell said.
“The Board of Directors felt that there was a great opportunity to assist students with their education and career goals who may have otherwise not been able to achieve these without financial assistance.
“There is no doubt that one of the best gifts you can give to someone is the gift of education, and we are thankful to be working with the Wagga RSL sub Branch and Charles Sturt University to implement this initiative.
“The scholarships are designed for people with a connection to the Services, which is obviously very aligned to the Clubs’ values and mission.”
Mr David Williams who was then acting treasurer and Trustee of the Wagga RSL Sub Branch when the decision to offer the scholarships was made said, “Wagga Wagga Returned and Services League Sub Branch is delighted to announce that they have created two $5,000 scholarships each year.
“The scholarships are created for the study of any subject at Charles Sturt University in Wagga Wagga, and are designed for people with a service connection or ex-serving members of the ADF.
“Ideally, the candidates will have an understanding of the role the RSL plays in ex- service matters. The scholarships are designed for the assistance of people who may not be able afford a university education rather than being for an outstanding student.”
“These scholarships have been created with the cooperation of The Wagga RSL Club who have also funded two further scholarships making a total of four being available in the Wagga Wagga area.”
Application and selection criteria:
* The purpose of the scholarships is assist returned service personnel, their family members or descendants of those who have serviced, to undertake university study or to embark upon a new career.
* The RSL scholarships will be available to on campus and online students studying any course offered on or through CSU in Wagga Wagga.
* Applicant must be a currently serving or retired member of the Australian Services or the son, daughter, spouse or grandchild of a currently serving or retired member of the Australian Services.
* Preference will be given to (a) students from lower to middle income families or students from a single parent family or who are a single parent, or (b) students who can demonstrate community involvement.
* Applicants must demonstrate an understanding of the RSL and its role in the lives of Australian Defence Force personnel.
* The Scholarship will be assessed and shortlisted by University representatives based on the criteria above. Final recommendation for award will be made by a specially convened RSL assessment committee.
Applications for the first four Wagga RSL Club and Wagga RSL Sub Branch scholarships open on Monday 10 September.