Today's water conference in Canberra will discuss the handover of control of the Murray Darling system from the States to the Federal Government. The Prime Minister has called the plan of "national significance". The conference comes as water and the environment has raced to the top of the list of voter concerns.
- Land management expert and Institute for Land Water and Society (ILWS) director Professor Allan Curtis, on the national water initiative and its effects on the people of the basin;
- Water use expert and hydrologist Professor Shahbaz Khan with ILWS and CSIRO, on the effects of drought on water availability, smart water use and learning from international experience;
- Water policy expert and former chief scientist with CSIRO Land and Water Professor Kathleen Bowmer on policy issues arising from the initiative;
- Former CSIRO scientist Professor David Mitchell who has a broad background in the ecology of freshwaters, water storages, wetlands and water plants;
- Climate change authority Professor Kevin Parton with ILWS, on the value of seasonal weather forecasting.
Explore the world of social